POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Semiregular pattern doodles : Re: Semiregular pattern doodles Server Time
20 May 2024 16:45:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Semiregular pattern doodles
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 17 Jun 2023 09:50:43
Message: <648dba33$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/16/23 20:37, Bald Eagle wrote:
> RL has had me wrapped up in a bunch of things, some very good, some very bad -
> but to kick back and relax, I was looking through some search results for videos
> to entertain/inspire, and I came across an introductory Shadertoy video where
> they make a grid of circles of random sizes.

Real life is keeping me busy of late too.

Cool post. The squares reminded me of the Irregular_Bricks_Ptrn() macro
shipped with textures.inc - excepting the latter has somewhat obvious
symmetry. See attached image.

---

The recent L-Systems posts, reminded me of a rough idea I've had banging
around in my head for a long while. One of building up isosurfaces based
upon chained dependencies to some depth. Similar I think to your direct
dependency on f_noise3d but, more like:

If stage one trunk covering location B12, use this stage two branch
function and so on. Perhaps also making adjustments to each stage's
behavior based upon the "test location's" inside values.

Practically, I doubt we could get very deep at acceptable performance
but, who knows. Maybe, deep enough to create simple branched plants or
the like. Anyhow, someday I hope the idea bubbles to the top of my "play
with it" list...

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'irregular_bricks_ptrn.jpg' (82 KB)

Preview of image 'irregular_bricks_ptrn.jpg'
irregular_bricks_ptrn.jpg