POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : hollow interior with fading issue : Re: hollow interior with fading issue Server Time
27 Jul 2024 16:13:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: hollow interior with fading issue
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 14 Jun 2023 18:34:23
Message: <648a406f$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/14/23 09:27, Chris R wrote:
> I would expect to see some variation in the color in that region due to light
> traveling different distances based on the camera angle, but not a complete drop
> out.
>
> Any idea why this might be happening?

My guess is the top of the liquid shape is open - or for some reason
effectively open as traced.

The interior fade function - unlike media - works correctly only when
the interior shape is "clean." Meaning there is a clearly defined pair
of surfaces of the interior shape defining the distance. The second
surface also provides the starting color(a) ahead of the fade to color
calculation.

(a) - Some exceptions apply.

Aside: This very likely also why there is no fading to color in front of
the green axis cylinder.

Both the fade and colored-transparency images posted indicate there is
no second surface. Why that might be, I don't know.

An interesting experiment would be to replace the liquid shape with a
sphere. My guess is that will work OK except perhaps where rays are
nearly tangent to the sphere's surface.

Bill P.

Aside: It looks to me like there might be some other noise in the posted
images too - or maybe it's just "floaters" compliments of my old eyes.
:-)