POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Borked diacritical marks : Re: Borked diacritical marks Server Time
1 Jun 2024 22:21:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Borked diacritical marks
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 3 Apr 2023 08:33:16
Message: <642ac78c$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/22/23 11:57, Cousin Ricky wrote:
> After looking at tx2378's problem ("bad display of utf8 code u00ed
> letter i-accute in times new roman" in p.programming) and becoming
> increasingly confused by what POV-Ray is doing, I rendered a suite of
> Latin-1 accented characters with various fonts.  The results are
> bafflingly inconsistent:

In a thread about povr/v4.0's cmap{} code changes, Bald Eagle asked me
if I'd dug into this issue. I'd not - though I had some guesses as to
what might be wrong.

Well, I'm going to take a run at this issue. Due cmap{} I got some light
exposure to several unix/linux font utilities. Plus I'll be busy with
real life over the next couple months and this work the right sort to
fit here and there as time allows.

I created a test case(a) to see if I could turn up some similar issues
with linux Ubuntu shipped fonts. The first I tried in FreeMono.ttf fails
wonderfully! Plenty of issues when Rendered in POV-Ray(povr). :-)

Aside: I can see already there are two tables in the working DejaVuSans
not in the FreeMono. I have no idea at the moment if that affects anything.

Bill P.

(a) - Yep. The acute lower case i (í) was wrong.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'accentedvowelsstory.png' (32 KB)

Preview of image 'accentedvowelsstory.png'
accentedvowelsstory.png