POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Height_field help : Re: Height_field help Server Time
28 Apr 2024 07:59:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Height_field help
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 6 Mar 2023 23:21:35
Message: <6406bbcf$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/6/23 18:36, Leroy wrote:
>> AFAIK, you don't need any of this stuff any more, because POV-Ray automatically
>> determines the file type, and so those keywords can be omitted.
> I do! my version 3.7.0.RC7.mevc10.sse.win323.7 will let you do this
>
> plane{z,0 pigment{image_map{"Uimage.tga"}} finish{ambient 1}}
>
> but not this :
>
> #declare I_File="Uimage.pgm";
>
> plane{z,0 pigment{image_map{I_File}} finish{ambient 1}}

Yes, this one of the changes v3.7 to v3.8. Christoph made updates so
more often POV-Ray can find and digest the input image file without an
explicit type.

It remains true, you do occasionally need to specify the file type in
both versions depending upon run time options and the image file naming.

To re-fresh my own memory of the status in both versions(a), I created
the attached test scene.

Bill P.

(a) - The v4.0 master branch on github currently matches v3.8 beta 2.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'v37_vs_v38_imagefilereadtests.pov.txt' (3 KB)