POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : v3.8b2. height_field input values at 0.0 not clean. : Re: v3.8b2. height_field input values at 0.0 not clean. Server Time
3 May 2024 00:38:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: v3.8b2. height_field input values at 0.0 not clean.
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 16 Feb 2023 07:30:22
Message: <63ee21de$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/15/23 08:15, William F Pokorny wrote:
> The HF zero (y as image/fnct evaluated) and z HF result should cleanly
> show up no matter scaling! At best it is today noisy.

:-) My first thoughts are so often mostly wrong...

The problem in this scene starts with a coincident surface! If the
height_field mesh is entirely at 0.0 in y, it is coincident with the
plane in the scene. Fix this issue and results are solid no matter the
scaling in y.

Note. Inbuilt Patterns especially often clamp to the [0-1] range due
numerical noise.

Bill P.

More detail
The coincident surface signature is different than I'm used to. Here it
is tangled with auto bounding in an odd way based on scaling in y. If I
turn bounding off with -mb, the cases which had previously disappeared
completely on larger or no scaling in y, are cleanly there - which is
also an odd coincident surface signature.

No bounding and the smaller scaling is more there and with a more
typical (to my eye's experience anyhow) coincident surface appearance.

I don't understand why scaling is affecting results as it is, but, I'm
not going to further chase this.