POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : ambient 0.3 triggers 'suspiciously high ambient value found' warning? : Re: ambient 0.3 triggers 'suspiciously high ambient value found' warning? Server Time
5 May 2024 00:37:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ambient 0.3 triggers 'suspiciously high ambient value found' warning?
From: Alain Martel
Date: 9 Feb 2022 11:06:46
Message: <6203e696$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2022-02-08 à 14:38, tutki a écrit :
> I'm testing out 3.8.0-beta.2 and trying out a scene ported from 3.6. Now it's
> complaining "Suspiciously high 'ambient' value found." on textures with ambient
> 0.3. What am I doing wrong?  I thought 0.3 isn't a very high value for ambient?

Any ambient value larger than 0.1 is considered high.

You should add «assumed_gamma 1» in your global_settings block.
Replace ambient with emission everywhere it is larger than 0.1.
It's often also interesting to change any other ambient to 0, or
commenting out those ambient statements.
The default value for ambient in 3.8 is 0 (zero).

Scene made for version 3.6 and earlier often tend to look washed out
when using the usual ambient values, and using ambient 0 frequently make
them look better. That's because the ambient component get added to the
diffuse component. This can cause channels go beyond 1.

Also, if any of those are radiosity scenes using high ambient as light
sources, then, those absolutely must be changed to emission. That's
because, starting with version 3.7, all ambient are turned OFF when
radiosity is used. Neglecting to do that change will cause everything to
turn black as there will be no light illuminating anything.