POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : ambient 0.3 triggers 'suspiciously high ambient value found' warning? : Re: ambient 0.3 triggers 'suspiciously high ambient value found' warning? Server Time
5 May 2024 00:40:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ambient 0.3 triggers 'suspiciously high ambient value found' warning?
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 8 Feb 2022 23:20:29
Message: <6203410d$1@news.povray.org>
On 2022-02-08 15:38 (-4), tutki wrote:
> I'm testing out 3.8.0-beta.2 and trying out a scene ported from 3.6. Now it's
> complaining "Suspiciously high 'ambient' value found." on textures with ambient
> 0.3. What am I doing wrong?  I thought 0.3 isn't a very high value for ambient?

In POV-Ray 3.6.* and earlier the ambient keyword was often used to
effect a glowing finish.  This usage has been deprecated since POV-Ray
3.7, and 3.8 warns you if it thinks that you are doing that.

If POV-Ray 3.8 guessed correctly, and you want a glowing object, then
replace 'ambient' with 'emission'.

If you really do want ambient 0.3, then add 'emission 0' to that same
finish statement.  This will suppress the warning.

Ambient 0.3 does seem rather high to me, but it's not for me or POV-Ray
to tell you, as an artist, not to use it that high.  The 'emission 0'
tells POV-Ray 3.8 that you have consciously made that choice.