POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Snow and Ice : Re: Snow and Ice Server Time
18 Apr 2024 23:52:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Snow and Ice
From: Alain Martel
Date: 20 Jan 2022 17:41:24
Message: <61e9e514$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2022-01-20 à 13:49, Chris R a écrit :
> Alain Martel <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:
>> Le 2022-01-20 à 09:36, Chris R a écrit :
>>
>>> I am wondering if it would be possible to just turn on SSLT for the snow at the
>>> edge of the roof closest to the camera?
>>>
>>> -- Chris R.
>>
>> No, unless the edge is a different object than the rest of the snow.
>> What you can do is to reduce the quality, take less samples.
>

> I guess what I'm wondering is if I had a version of the texture (T1) with sslt
> enabled, and another version without (T2), and then used
>
> texture {
>     gradient x
>     texture_map {
>        [0.0 T1]
>        [0.75 T1]
>        [0.75 T2]
>        [1.00 T2]
>     }
> }
>
> Would I get the slowdown from SSLT over the whole object, or just the portion of
> the last 25% of the object in the X direction?
>

> -- Chris R.

I can't say. It may work. Worth doing some test.

I'd try this :
texture {
    gradient x
    texture_map {
       [0.0 T1]
       [0.74 T1] // avoid a sharp jump between SSLT and non-SSLT
       [0.76 T2] // MAY need a slightly broader overlap in some cases
       [1.00 T2]
    }
}

The slight overlap should hide the change from SSLT to non-SSLT.