POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : How to build console version : How to build console version Server Time
2 May 2024 09:55:39 EDT (-0400)
  How to build console version
From: Alessio Sangalli
Date: 16 Dec 2021 18:00:05
Message: <61bbc4f5$1@news.povray.org>
Hello I am trying to mess with the POV-Ray source code.

Right now I am on a Window machine and I have Visual Studios 2015 AND
2019. Unfortunately I am not an expert of this environment. I would like
to compile the console version of the program (I honestly never use the
GUI anyway).

My questions are:
1) which branch should I really use:
   remotes/origin/3.7-stable
   remotes/origin/HEAD -> origin/master
   remotes/origin/autobuild/alpha_v380
   remotes/origin/autobuild/experimental
   remotes/origin/autobuild/freetype
   remotes/origin/autobuild/tokenizer
   remotes/origin/autobuild/v3.8.0-alpha
   remotes/origin/experimental/freetype
   remotes/origin/feature/advanced_diffuse
   remotes/origin/feature/colour_model
   remotes/origin/feature/tonemapping
   remotes/origin/housekeeping/prebuild_dir
   remotes/origin/latest-stable
   remotes/origin/master
   remotes/origin/release/v3.7.0
   remotes/origin/release/v3.8.0

I tried 3.7-stable but I got all sorts of issues migrating from the old
"solution"; I then tried release/v3.8.0 but if I try to compile the
console version:

1>------ Skipped Build: Project: boost_date_time, Configuration: Debug
Win32 ------
1>Project not selected to build for this solution configuration
2>------ Build started: Project: console, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
2>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file
'C:\dev\povray\windows\vs2015\bin32\lib\libboost_date_time32d.lib'
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 21 up-to-date, 1 skipped ==========

(this is after I specified _CONSOLE in syspovconfig.h)

at this point even the GUI version would work but it complains I have to
use /INSTALL, then I was able to make it start but it still wants more
DLL's, and I would very much like to stay with a command line console
version.

Thank you