POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Fluorapophyllite-(K) : Re: Fluorapophyllite-(K) Server Time
2 May 2024 09:22:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fluorapophyllite-(K)
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 27 Oct 2021 02:45:36
Message: <6178f590@news.povray.org>
Op 27/10/2021 om 01:09 schreef Samuel B.:
>> Continuing Sam's investigations on crystal shapes and materials, and
>> using KrystalShaper as the primary crystal builder.
>>
>> This is a crystal of apophyllite. The coloured variety is
>> Fluorapophyllite-(K).
>> (...)
>
> Hey Thomas, it looks good!

Thanks Sam! It turned out rather well indeed. It is a bit out of the way
in terms of colours, but I liked the wikipedia example too much to let
it pass.

> I agree with Bald Eagle that a cleaner render would be nice, but of course that
> would drive up the render time, should you wish to increase the number of
> samples. I mean, you're using scattering media + caustics, and we all know how
> that goes.

I was indeed fully aware of the grainy render, and - at this stage - it
was on purpose for experimentation's sake, as otherwise I would loose
way to much time waiting for the render to finish before starting the
next try. As always, a project starts rendering fast and gradually slows
down along the way when better settings and more stuff are added.

> How long did this take to render? The file name says 004d, so I really hope it
> wasn't 4 days ':/

Oh no! That is the version number ;-) This render was pretty fast: less
than an hour iirc.

> I'd like to discover a cheap and realistic way to add internal fractures to
> mineral renders. Apophyllite is one of those minerals prone to being found in a
> fractured state. I have two ideas in mind, but both are rather expensive: 1)
> height fields intersecting not only each other, but also the crystal shape
> (which is itself an intersection); or 2) isosurfaces. Both can be very, very
> slow. Sometimes I wish media had an ior block.

Ah... yes indeed. I have not considered your first method, but
considered the isosurface one. However, I also cringe at the implied
render time.

Another thing I would like to do is model more asymmetric crystals, like
they occur in nature. The KrystalShaper models are too perfect for our
grubby little hands. :-) Maybe by carefully manipulating the set of
planes in the intersection, or working directly on a mesh2 model
converted back to .obj for instance, and load it up in our favourite
modeller...

> Is there an online POV-Ray render farm anywhere? :P

That would be nice.

> Apophyllite is one of those minerals I'd love to find. Since it occurs in basalt
> vesicles, one might think it'd be everywhere, but finding any mineral-bearing
> cavities is already a challenge...

Yes, you will need a bit of luck I guess.

--
Thomas