POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Yet ANOTHER silently missing dev library : Re: Yet ANOTHER silently missing dev library Server Time
18 May 2024 20:36:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet ANOTHER silently missing dev library
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 8 Oct 2021 23:11:59
Message: <6161087f$1@news.povray.org>
On 21-10-08 9:20 PM (-4), The Traveler wrote:
> Cousin Ricky <ric### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
>>
>> These are the libraries listed by a POV-Ray run.  I notice that SDL
>> isn't on this list.  (Thanks, Bill, for pointing out a requirement that
>> I would *never* have been able to find out.)  Are there any others
>> besides ILM that are missing?
>>   ZLib 1.2.11
>>   LibPNG 1.6.34
>>   LibJPEG 80
>>   LibTIFF 4.0.9
>>   Boost 1.66
>>
>> Speaking of which, why did I have to recompile anything in the first
>> place?  I didn't have to recompile 3.5 or 3.6 or MegaPOV.  But POV-Ray
>> 3.7, 3.8-beta, the master branch, and UberPOV all choked on incompatible
>> library versions, for more than one upgrade.  Is there some way to build
>> POV-Ray for Unix/Linux so that I don't have to recompile the damn things
>> every time I do an OS upgrade?  This is not a workable system!
>
> I have the same conundrum. I tinker with my Ubuntu-based distro constantly so
> recompiling povray is second nature now. This is my install loadout on Lubuntu:
>
> sudo apt install libboost-thread-dev libjpeg-dev libpng-dev libtiff-dev
> libsdl1.2-dev openexr

So it looks like OpenEXR was the last library that I didn't have.  N.B.
I also had to install openexr-devel to get EXR to work in POV-Ray.

> The libboost-thread-dev pulls in zlib automatically so no need to include it.
> The other change I make is ./configure --prefix=/home/jeff/.local to put
> everything in my personal directory. No need to swap permissions to hack on any
> part of it then.

I'll remember this if I ever decide to install POV-Ray on my phone.

> For "compile once, run somewhere else", if you feel handy you could do an
> AppImage,
> Flatpak or snap package. Getting any of them set up is a bit of a PITA but once
> you're set up, your there.

Great.  After Git making my life easier, all I need is another PITA; but
if one of these works, then it really will make my life easier.  Thanks!