POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Time for a Rant : Re: Time for a Rant Server Time
26 Apr 2024 14:31:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Time for a Rant
From: clipka
Date: 17 Aug 2021 04:48:14
Message: <611b77ce@news.povray.org>
Am 17.08.2021 um 01:32 schrieb jr:

>> Granted, there's an interface to get timezone XY. ...
>
> would 'tzset(3)' help?  (POSIX + thread-safe, but *NIX only, I guess)

No; that would be the way to determine the timezone name on Unix, with
which you could then get a boost timezone. But, as you already noticed,
it doesn't exist on Windows.

Also, boost date_time timezones aren't really an ideal solution anyway.
They presume that the local time rules are immutable for any given
locale, when in reality they can vary.

When the `TZ` environment variable is NOT set, or specifies the time
zone indirectly via reference to a filename, the standard C functions
(on POSIX systems) are capable of using a far more flexible system to
determine which time offset was in effect for which point in time.