POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray v3.8.0-beta 1 - Parse error using "%s" in Win10 : Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-beta 1 - Parse error using "%s" in Win10 Server Time
26 Apr 2024 22:13:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-beta 1 - Parse error using "%s" in Win10
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 11 Aug 2021 09:09:21
Message: <6113cc01$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/11/21 7:13 AM, clipka wrote:
> Am 28.07.2021 um 15:16 schrieb William F Pokorny:
>
>> Just to toss it out there, for as long as I've used datetime(now) as in:
>>
>> #version 3.8;
>> #debug concat("v3.8 default -> ",datetime(now),"\n")
>
> Can you put some estimate on "as long as I've used datetime(now)"?
> Further back than 2019?

Guessing 2018 or there about - certainly your new c++11 code over the
boost stuff - but I don't remember the exact timing. We could look at
the commit messages I guess.

> If so, can you remember whether you already got local time out of the
> function back then, or whether it could originally have been UTC after all?

Yes, as I said in answer to Cousin_Ricky, I tripped myself up on using
the v3.8 branch point for povr as v3.8 beta 1 due a screw up in my
wrapper script. The latter (now)- with the original boost code does
return utc - but the %z %Z options in datetime don't work. Sticking with
v3.8 beta <n> as is - at least as far as my Ubuntu machine goes - is an
OK option I think.

Other changes to now/datetime could wait for v4.0. But, I'm not sure
what others see for v3.8.

Complete aside... I have a vague recollection of a compile time
environment variable for some compiler which let users select whether
std::time() - the 'c' time - would return utc or local time. But, maybe
it was a fever dream... :-)

Bill P.