POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Moving indoors : Re: Moving indoors Server Time
26 Apr 2024 14:43:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Moving indoors
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 6 Aug 2021 20:48:18
Message: <610dd852@news.povray.org>
On 2021-08-06 9:16 AM (-4), Chris R wrote:
>> Am 05.08.2021 um 22:43 schrieb Chris R:
>>
>>> The pool table is a bit too shiny, but I like the reflection of the store across
>>> the street.
>>
>> It looks to me like you're not using `fresnel`.
>>
>> [snip]
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.  I think I have only used fresnel on transparent
> surfaces before, and probably only because I copied a standard material or one
> from an example.  (The window doesn't have it turned on either, because I am
> just using M_Glass from textures.inc).  I'll try that out.

Fresnel is the way to go whenever you have a non-metallic 'reflection'.
POV-Ray 3.8's finish-level Fresnel is best, but your image appears to
have been rendered with POV-Ray 3.7.

In 3.7, I use a layered texture for opaque objects.  The first layer is
opaque with no specular reflection, and the second layer is a clear rgbf
1 pigment with Fresnel reflection in the finish.  The result is
comparable to finish-level Fresnel reflection.

The attached images were rendered with POV-Ray 3.7.  I didn't have a
ready-made store front, but the sky and railings show well in the
reflections.  Notice the differences on the top surfaces of the boxes.
Here are the materials used:

// Left: constant reflection
  material
  { texture
    { pigment { red 1 }
      finish
      { reflection { 0.05 }
        specular albedo 0.05
        roughness 0.001
      }
    }
  }

// Center: reflection-level Fresnel
  material
  { texture
    { pigment { red 1 }
      finish
      { reflection { 1 fresnel } conserve_energy
        specular albedo 0.05
        roughness 0.001
      }
    }
    interior { ior 1.5 }
  }

// Right: layered texture
  material
  { texture
    { pigment { red 1 }
    }
    texture
    { pigment { rgbf 1 }
      finish
      { reflection { 1 fresnel } conserve_energy
        specular albedo 0.05
        roughness 0.001
      }
    }
    interior { ior 1.5 }
  }

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'fresnel37-above.jpg' (46 KB) Download 'fresnel37-level.jpg' (41 KB)

Preview of image 'fresnel37-above.jpg'
fresnel37-above.jpg

Preview of image 'fresnel37-level.jpg'
fresnel37-level.jpg