POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Server failure : Re: Server failure Server Time
15 May 2024 06:55:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Server failure
From: Chris Cason
Date: 25 May 2021 20:07:58
Message: <60ad915e@news.povray.org>
On 26/05/2021 06:05, clipka wrote:
> Just trying to slowly get back up to speed, reading up on what's been
> happening while I wasn't looking, and found that Thunderbird refused to
> load a suspiciously large number of messages from back then, saying they
> didn't exist anymore. Tried to repair the index, and now all messages
> from 2019 seem to have been gone entirely (as well as a few months
> before and after).
>
> Could that be related to the March 9 server failure, or was there an
> earlier separate problem that ate all the posts?

Any group in particular that is missing posts, or is it all?

For povray.general at least, posts seem to be there ...

   telnet news.povray.org 119
   group povray.general
   211 54252 3332 83275 povray.general selected

Estimated 54,252 articles in total, first article 3332 and last is
83275. I'm able to retrieve both the first (from 1998) and the last
(from today).

However that's not to say I know what exact requests Thunderbird is
sending. If it happens again I suggest running tcpdump or wireshark on
your end when you do the fetch so you can see exactly what Thunderbird
is asking and what the server tells it in response. If you can send that
to me I can take a look at it.

-- Chris