POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Installation thread : Re: POV-Ray Installation thread Server Time
26 Apr 2024 22:43:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Installation thread
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 12 May 2021 02:44:24
Message: <609b7948$1@news.povray.org>
Op 12/05/2021 om 01:10 schreef Bald Eagle:
> Yes.  I think the primary motivation is addressing the paucity of information
> that is available on the official webpage with regard to installation,
> especially for 3.8 alpha.

This installation info was given by Clipka in
https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/releases/tag/v3.8.0-alpha.10064268

However, in Windows, I use a more 'intuitive' way which gives access
both to 3.7 and 3.8 easily (in separate renders of course ;-) ). That is
by putting the complete folder 'povray-3.8.0-alpha.10064268-av691-Win64'
into the 'bin' folder of POV-Ray. That way, you can access both
'pvengine64.exe' versions side by side if you want to do so.
Additionally, there is no conflict between the two that I know of. I
never came up against one as long as I have been using this setup. In
the past I had thus different folders in 'bin' corresponding to
different development stages of POV-Ray, including MegaPOV and/or UberPOV.

But maybe this is common knowledge? I don't know.

> I think a lot of people would like to use it, and would benefit from the
> additions and changes made since 3.7 stable.

Absolutely.

> For the unix-specific packages, I think that a lot of people - out in the world
> - might want to install povray but don't know how, and getting 3.8 properly
> working might be daunting enough to overall prevent them from doing so.
>
> Which would be shame, as we should be promoting the creation of new users
> aggressively.
>
> And it would be so nice to just have a fairly straightforward and easy-to-follow
> plan for getting official povray, hgpovray38, and povr all installed so I could
> use whichever one I wanted.  Without breaking something.

...and, when possible, for Windows too of course. ;-)

Excellent initiative!

--
Thomas