POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : strange problem with srgb color in light_source : Re: strange problem with srgb color in light_source Server Time
14 May 2024 05:17:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: strange problem with srgb color in light_source
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 2 Apr 2021 13:12:53
Message: <60675095$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/2/21 11:45 AM, ingo wrote:
> in news:6067132e$1@news.povray.org William F Pokorny wrote:
>
>> Rambling... With color vector math, we have long had exposures to
>> misuse / naive use. Have done and continue to do my own share of
>> stupid stuff... :-)
>>

> ehhm, you mean artistic use, I hope?
>
> The linear RGB space beyond <1,1,1> is excellent. The only alternative
> would be CIEXYZ or CIELab, but who can define a color in that as easy as
> with rgb.
> The sRGB space is ehm, of very limited use imo for defining colours in
> POV-Ray. You put it on a sphere, add a nice warm light and gone is the
> color you intended.

:-) I guess adding an example to my short ramble would have been
helpful. I was trying to say we have potential pitfalls no matter how
the linear colors within POV-Ray are initially defined. Whenever we
start doing math with the color vector, we can slip up.

#declare ThisColor = rgbt <0.4,0.3,0.2,0.5>;
background { ThisColor * 2.0 }

when the intent was:

background { ThisColor * 2.0 transmit 0.5 }

Bill P.