POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Server failure : Re: Server failure Server Time
15 May 2024 10:18:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Server failure
From: Chris Cason
Date: 29 Mar 2021 21:45:48
Message: <606282cc$1@news.povray.org>
On 22/03/2021 01:28, Bald Eagle wrote:

> include attachments in ANY of the newsgroups.

Try it now :>)

> backed that up and created a PDF and a zip file of all of his sources. I
> have all of Friedrich Lohmueller's excellent work as well.
> Perhaps we could have some dedicated space on the new server for that
> material,

I'm happy to re-host that and other related resources provided that
copyright / license issues don't get in the way.

> and maybe mull over a mechanism by which the core POV-Ray
> material (source, binaries, documentation) could have backups hosted on
> one or more other sites.

archive.org kind of does this for the www site in an informal way. That
said though we always designed the site such that everything important
sits in our FTP directories. For example, ftp://ftp.povray.org/pub/ and
below contains binaries going back to version 1.0. The same physical
directory tree is mapped to the WWW site as http://www.povray.org/ftp/,
and this is where downloads get pulled from when initiated from the www.

The reason for doing it this way is that in the past (much less so now,
though) it was common for FTP sites to be mirrored in various places
around the world (less as a means of backup than as a speedup for local
users as international bandwidth wasn't what it is now, and also as a
means of offloading traffic from a main site).

We used to list the formal mirrors (those we had arrangements with) on
our download page but don't anymore as they tend to come and go more
than they used to. You also could find mirrors via the Archie search
engine but I don't think that's really a thing anymore.

That said there are still mirrors out there, e.g.
https://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/ftp.povray.org. I'm sure there's
more but since FTP sites themselves aren't as far as I am aware directly
indexed by web search engines they will only turn up in searches if the
FTP site also has a HTTP front-end.

> is not free - Perhaps there is something some of us could do by check,
> paypal, patreon, ....?

Appreciate the thought, but not needed at this point.

-- Chris