POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Upgrading POV-Ray's include files - a few remarks : Re: Upgrading POV-Ray's include files - a few remarks Server Time
28 Apr 2024 17:30:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Upgrading POV-Ray's include files - a few remarks
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 8 Mar 2021 13:04:07
Message: <60466717$1@news.povray.org>
On 2021-03-07 12:32 PM (-4), Robert McGregor wrote:

> That said, I just read this blog post about gamma, which I found very
> enlightening and thought it might be helpful to others here:
>
> https://blog.johnnovak.net/2016/09/21/what-every-coder-should-know-about-gamma/

Et tu, Photoshop?

Does anyone know whether GIMP and ImageMagick do it correctly?  The
article doesn't mention these two, but I use them for resizing, and I've
wondered about this issue.

I'm confident that POV-Ray 3.7 does it correctly, but who wants to write
a scene file just to resize?  (I often end up doing that for simple
editing anyway, because it's easier than deciphering the GIMP
documentation.)

POV-Ray 3.6.2 and earlier read image files incorrectly, although this
can be fixed with a pigment function, which is what I did before 3.7 was
developed.  (Thanks Jaime or Ive, whoever posted the function.)  The
article might also explain why anti-aliased text in POV-Ray 3.5 looks
heavier than in 3.6 and later.