POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Upgrading POV-Ray's include files - a few remarks : Re: Upgrading POV-Ray's include files - a few remarks Server Time
29 Apr 2024 03:55:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Upgrading POV-Ray's include files - a few remarks
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 7 Mar 2021 02:41:50
Message: <604483be$1@news.povray.org>
Op 07/03/2021 om 02:23 schreef Bald Eagle:
> "Robert McGregor" <rob### [at] mcgregorfineartcom> wrote:
>
>> That is a GREAT idea! I'd be interested in helping with that initiative.
>
> I guess something where we make a list (pref in a starter .pov file) and then we
> can use that as a framework for group editing.
>
> Maybe come up with a standard camera/resolution for anything that needs
> rendering.
> And #error directive for things that don't.
> Make it one big #switch #case #break #end block.
>
> Possibly alphabetize everything so it's easy to skim through.
>
> And then it's just a basic functioning few lines of code for everything, and
> then that can act as a basis for anyone who wants to follow up with
> improvements.
>
> (might need a companion .inc file for textures, useful macros, various other
> odds and ends)
>
> Which reminds me
> In addition to my include file edits, and random number additions, I have a file
> that I'm writing Graphics Gems methods in SDL, and I have my own include files
> for things like matrix and array macros/formulas, and some commonly used
> algorithms like sorting, etc.
>

>> Rage on brother (i.e., Against the Machine), and amen, I feel exactly where
>> you're coming from.
>

> I do/have done construction, electrical, gas, HVAC, painting, grow food, store
> food, cook, grind my own meat grain and spices, auto engine repair, small engine
> repair, computer and printer repair, electronics, photography (B&W), arduino/cpp
> coding, POV-Ray, archery, was an FFL, firearms instructor, I drive carts, pallet
> jacks, forklifts, do organic chemistry, ....  getting into CB and ham, other
> skillz...
>
> "What do you do at work?"  Lift heavy stuff, clean, mop....
> "What do you do at home?"  Derive the mixed partial second derivatives of
> Bernstein polynomials..."
>

> Does anyone hire me for any of that stuff? ...  no.  :|
>

> Some is due to interest alone, most due to poverty/necessity.
> It's TIRING, but I plan on outliving the snowflakes whose delicate constitution
> can only tolerate organic soy milk.
>

> hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a
> wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act
> alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer,
> cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for

> ― Robert A. Heinlein
>

>> Now you're just killing me with your snarky regex, awk and grep - I literally
>> laughed out loud! Because it's all so true...
>

> I mean I've done all of that - most of it 20 years ago ...  but I'm a fan of
> clear, concise, complete, and robust instructions.
> It's easy to forget that SHT, and sometimes I write code on Monday and have no
> idea how what I wrote works on Wednesday...
> Not to mention the few times I only found a single example of code I wanted to
> [...]

I have learned by experience that writing instructions for everybody's
use (or for a dedicated group like in a working environment) is one of
the most challenging things to do, especially if you intend them to be
'clear', 'consistent', 'comprehensible'. It is a humbling experience
too, about your own limitations. More often than not I got people coming
to me telling me that my instructions 'didn't work', 'crashed the
system', 'were Russian to them', etc... I learned to integrate those
reactions into comprehensive updates. :-)

Btw, I am still 'digesting' but I'll come back to the topic.

--
Thomas