POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Upgrading POV-Ray's include files - a few remarks : Re: Upgrading POV-Ray's include files - a few remarks Server Time
26 Apr 2024 21:53:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Upgrading POV-Ray's include files - a few remarks
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 1 Mar 2021 02:49:50
Message: <603c9c9e$1@news.povray.org>
Op 28/02/2021 om 16:43 schreef Kenneth:
> "Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> Just as a check, I rendered your example  SCloud_1  skysphere in v3.8xx
>> (assumed_gamma 1.0), and get identical results to your middle image. So far, so
>> good ;-)
>>

> Hmm, they are not quite identical after all.
>
> I thought I would do a side-by-side comparison of your v3.6 assumed_gamma 1.0
> version to v3.8xx (I changed the "skies.inc" pigments back to their originals.)
>
> There's a definite difference; I assume that it comes from the many
> 'under-the-hood' changes made to POV-ray since v3.6.
>
> So it seems to be very difficult to determine (and update) what the author's
> *original* visual intent was for these pigments.
>
> Unless we all go back to using v3.6  :-O

I have not tested it, but maybe your differences come from the fact that
you use version 3.8 here. I did not, from the principle that version 3.7
and/or 3.7.1 are the /last/ official versions of POV-Ray. As a start,
the includes should comply with those versions. Version 3.8 is beta and
may need more changes in future.

--
Thomas