POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A Quiet Lane : Re: A Quiet Lane - 2nd state Server Time
27 Apr 2024 14:46:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Quiet Lane - 2nd state
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 20 Feb 2021 02:31:47
Message: <6030bae3$1@news.povray.org>
Op 19/02/2021 om 23:34 schreef Kenneth:
>> Second state of the scene, this time rendered with stochastic aa...
>>
>> Following Bill's comment about Sam Benge's Luminous Bloom, I dusted the
>> facility off, adapted it to latest pov version (gamma and emission) and
>> tweaked the settings until I got this somewhat painterly output. I like
>> it but am not going to experiment much further at present.
>>

> That's a beautiful and pastoral scene; sorry that I had not commented previously
> (too many POV-ray tasks and tests taking up my time.) I love the thatched roofs,
> and the overall setting (and lighting.) I actually prefer the non-bloom image.
> IMO, that effect seems to work/look better when applied to larger or simpler
> shapes-- as opposed to 'blooming' lots of fine details, which looks more like an
> overall haze. Or maybe that's the intended effect here ;-)

Thank you Kenneth. The bloom version is - as far as I am concerned -
only an excursion out of curiosity following Bill's comment. It was
something I was curious about after all that time. I like its effect but
it is not my favourite either and anyway the scene was not created with
bloom in mind. My real intention was the re-creation of those 19th
century ideas about the country side (sometimes stimulated by underlying
social viewpoints) especially after the invention of paint tubes which
enabled artists to work in the open air.

--
Thomas