POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Speeding up media : Re: Speeding up media Server Time
23 Apr 2024 06:24:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Speeding up media
From: Alain Martel
Date: 8 Feb 2021 10:16:10
Message: <602155ba$1@news.povray.org>

http://news.povray.org/povray.newusers/message/%3C59a9ec1c%40news.povray.org%3E/#%3C59a9ec1c%40news.povray.org%3E

>> I'm not sure how that applies to my case. I am not using emissive
>> media or the "samples" keyword.
>>

> There is nothing really wrong with your code as far as I can tell and
> from own experience. From the outside (of the media) it is even rather
> fast due to the default intervals 1 and samples 1 (Yes! you /do/ use
> samples, even if you don't).
>
> However, depending on the location of the camera within or without the
> media, render times can be very different; you even may need to increase
> the samples value to avoid splotches, and that will decrease render time
> even more although not that much.
>
> Using media is time consuming. There is no alternative.

The default for samples is 10.
samples default to 1 when using sampling method 1 or 2.
The default are, as of version 3.6 :

sampling_method 3
intervals 1 //DO NOT increase !
samples 10

Increasing intervals dramatically increase the rendering time without
giving any appreciable improvement.

samples 10 intervals 3 render slower than samples 50 intervals 1.