POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Repair platform before the invention of plug-and-play ships : Re: Repair platform before the invention of plug-and-play ships Server Time
1 May 2024 15:23:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Repair platform before the invention of plug-and-play ships
From: Hj  Malthaner
Date: 16 Jan 2021 19:00:39
Message: <60037e27$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/15/21 4:29 PM, Mr wrote:

> However, I feel like the cluttering of saturnistic blue planet between ship and
> strange shell like object looks somewhat too much.

I think you have a point here. I already had made the ring blend more
with the background, likely it will be good to make the whole planet
darker so it appears more to be part of the background.

[snip]

> So objects or spaces cut by the frame in top left corner can act as an entry
> point, but having also a lower right exit point can create a kind of
> eye-highway, getin-getout effect. Instead you'd rather want the viewer's eye to
> get back to the details before it leaves. so lower right is rather bouncing
> place than exit point.

Learned something new here! Thanks for the explanation. Not sure if can
make immediate use of this, but for sure it will help when designing new
scenes. Thank you very much!

> Once the relative position of objects is established or
> confirmed, you would still bring back the overlaps between them to increase
> sense of depth BUT doing so you'd start looking at objects as if they were
> silhouettes (maybe use the Gimp contrast curves) and focus on the shape of the
> empty spaces between them: can the eye flow in that space between from island to
> island with a suitable trajectory to your goal: serenity / chaos. These empty
> spaces will mentally get well defined if the image is to be readable but can be
> hard to control. Among some "cheats" you can decide to mix some masses together
> by more overlap or focal blur, to emphasize some viewing trajectory.

The scene has few "areas of visual rest" I think that is what you are
referring to. Must think some more if and how I can change the scene to
do better there without making it a whole different scene.

> b) The four similar shaped objects on the top are they intended to work together
> as some kind of satellite lighting system? If so maybe having them shed some
> kind of converging very slight media / halo would make that point, or any
> interconnection between them, or minimally bringing them closer to each other.
> Because otherwise it's not clear they have a function that would depend on each
> other, yet the light blue cylinders on them are so very saturated that they too
> loudly appear as duplicates if they are not meant to be some.

They are indeed supposed to be flood light drones to light the upper
half of the damaged ship as well as the platform itself.

The bright blue cylinders are a bit out of place ... remnants from reuse
of the basic shapes from another scene where these lights were linked to
drive effects. But in this scene, everyone else uses rockets like
thrusters as dives. So you are right, I should do something there.

Thanks for all the suggestions! The next days I'll be busy with other
things, but I'll keep in mind to read your message again before I return
to work some more on this scene.

--
Some of my PovRay works:
https://www.deviantart.com/antarasol/gallery/42758766/3D