POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : news web interface charset decoding : Re: news web interface charset decoding Server Time
6 Aug 2024 08:10:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: news web interface charset decoding
Date: 24 Apr 2002 10:55:54
Message: <5fhdcuglt4sv78aiklgkcb0ssvgi61gte4@4ax.com>
On Tue, 23 Apr 2002 20:25:45 +0200, "Thorsten Froehlich" <tho### [at] trfde>
wrote:
> It is not confusing but caused by some news clients turning some message
> header lines into some strange encoding when the find non-ASCII characters in
> the header line (usually Subject or From header lines). This is also the reason
> why your name always end up truncated in the web view.

Of course I noticed my name is always destroyed in www interface. I was always
too concerned on other pov related things so not talked about it. Perhaps
before final release, before community increase, it's time for investigation.

The reason I asked about Christoph's post is that encoding sign was inserted
for simple dot which I'm sure is either part of us-ascii and german charset.

In my case it is my fault. I had neither laguage nor coding defined. I've
changed somethingt in my newsreader now for further investigation.

> Unfortunately I
> don't know the name of this encoding and so I never managed to find out
> something about it.  Hints are welcome, of course.

I don't know if it help but Christoph has language  "de" already inserted in
his post - therefore it is displayed as 8859-1 probably. I'm sure there are
some rady converters from different charsets to unicode so when chars from
outside ascii set appear in string than it can be converted to unicode code.
Unicode code can be simple inserted into html via "&#code;" set and displayed
correctly. For example take a look into applied unicode chars in tables:
http://webmaster.helion.pl/kurshtml/znaki/znaki.htm
http://webmaster.helion.pl/kurshtml/znaki/greckied.htm
http://webmaster.helion.pl/kurshtml/znaki/greckiem.htm
Btw, I have already wrote about it to you at begining of povray.international
group. Have you experimented with this ?

ABX