POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Not using all CPU : Re: Not using all CPU Server Time
26 Apr 2024 04:07:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Not using all CPU
From: Alain Martel
Date: 13 Jan 2021 12:09:35
Message: <5fff294f$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2021-01-13 à 05:55, Le_Forgeron a écrit :
> Le 12/01/2021 à 23:29, Mike Horvath a écrit :
>> 6 physical cores
>> 12 logical cores
>>
>> What is "WT"? Thanks.
>>

> WT is working thread; the number of thread uses by the engine to trace.
>
> +WT1 forces to use a single thread.
>
> IIRC, windows is not very cooperative in its scheduler, so using all the
> cores might be dangerous.
> Also, did you check if you have any "thermal" tuning (I do not know if
> that change make it in the production version, it was done for
> space-ship usage). It might be all in the menu part.

As long as you don't set the priority to high, you should set WT to the
actual number of logical cores.
For 6 cores with 12 logical cores, you should use +wt12.
Also, by default, POV-Ray version 1.7 and later is be set to use all the
logical cores present. At least, that's the case on my computer.

Yes, the «duty cycle» is present since version 1.6. It can be set from
10% to 100% in 10% increments, and yes, it was implemented for use on
the ISS.

What can make your CPU time go lower could be thermal throttling. This
can happen if there is to much dust in the heat sink of the CPU. It
should be cleaned at least once a year, more if you are in a dusty
environment.

Some other possible causes would be another CPU hungry process running,
or memory use getting to high and swapping start happening.