POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 2020 year in review : Re: 2020 year in review Server Time
29 Apr 2024 04:31:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 2020 year in review
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 7 Jan 2021 22:45:55
Message: <5ff7d573$1@news.povray.org>
On 2021-01-06 1:44 PM (-4), Alain Martel wrote:

>> Alain Martel <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:
>>
>>> I tend to use some averaged micro-normals. Around 5 to 10 seems to work
>>> well.
>>> I prefer to use granite as my base pattern.
>>> I also use rather large random translations after the scaling.
>>
>> Granite-- I never thought of that. It is nicely 'random'. My own
>> trials used
>> overlapped and rotated 'linear' patterns... like sine waves or scallop
>> waves for
>> the normals, IIRC. Maybe that was the cause of my Moire patterns?

I suspect so.  Think of the regular patterns you see in 4-color
halftones in comic books.

However, Rune Johansen has a brushed metal texture that just averages 2
wood layers.  It is quite convincing, even with no blur effect.  It was
written for MegaPOV 0.5, but it is easily converted to 3.7/3.8.
   http://runevision.com/3d/povgoodies/

> You can also try bozo/bumps/spotted or agate as your base pattern.

I tried crackle once, but it took longer than bumps and didn't look all
that great.  Facets coords gives results similar to bumps, without
taking longer.

I have never thought to try granite or agate.  Have you tried wrinkles?

> Tip when using averaged textures for complex objects or multiple objects
> with blurred reflection :
>
> Make two copies of your objects with blurred reflection. The first have
> the full averaged texture and the no_reflection attribute. The second
> have only the non-averaged micro-normals and the no_image attribute.
> That way, when that object self reflect, or several objects that have
> blurred reflection inter reflect, the number of rays to trace is kept to
> a reasonable level.

My RC3Metal module in the Object Collection uses this trick.  Thanks
again for that idea.

> Also, using averaged textures can be much faster that rendering multiple
> times and averaging the resulting images externally. The render time hit
> only affect the part of the image where there are averaged normals.
> Multiple renders need to render the whole image multiple times, then,
> you have the time needed to post process them.

This was my first plan.  But I had written the original scene using
POV-Ray 3.7, so to get the same effect as finish-level Fresnel, I had
used a layered texture.  (Trust me, reflection-level Fresnel looked
horrible.)  Then when I tried to change the bumpy layer to an averaged
texture, I got the old "Cannot layer a patterned texture over another"
error.  Rather than attempt to rearrange the texture, or unravel the
texture to work with 3.8's finish-level Fresnel, I just chose the easy
way out.  But yes, I agree that putting in the extra work would probably
have shortened the render time.