POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : adding SDL to ctags : Re: adding SDL to ctags Server Time
4 May 2024 06:24:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: adding SDL to ctags
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 5 Jan 2021 13:34:44
Message: <5ff4b144$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/5/21 5:28 AM, Mr wrote:
> William F Pokorny <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
>
> Thank you for partly clarifying. I was indeed only aware of the main idea (Only
> stable official pov, "only" available in package repositories). When I said
> "shipped", I meant "out of the box", as available without launching any synaptic
> or package manager whatsoever, just like Vim is for Lubuntu or  Python is
> included out of the box for the one time user to fire at will in almost any
> Linux distribution. Now maybe that was never actually the case for POV? (I
> believed, maybe misconceived, it once was). My question now is why? And could it
> ever?

I suspect it never the case for the most common linux distributions.

For mainstream linux / unix / macOS? distributions I don't think making
tooling like POV-Ray, Blender, MakeHuman, etc. part of base makes sense.
Including vim, perl, python, the usual shells, etc does.

Most of what makes each distribution unique is the choice of what
packages are already included and it makes sense to include only those
most likely to be used by most people directly or indirectly in the
mainstream ones.

That's not to say there might not be a place for such tools in
specialized linux distributions aimed at making movies, creating games,
doing gis/dem stuff or similar. These sorts of code distributions exist
and they include already extra packages related to their specialization.

Further, if you are using a computer provided by an institution,
computers are usually installed / maintained using common disk images.
Each institution would decide what packages are included by default or
not and some of these might include some form of POV-Ray.

Bill P.