POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : adding SDL to ctags : Re: adding SDL to ctags Server Time
4 May 2024 04:28:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: adding SDL to ctags
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 4 Jan 2021 05:58:22
Message: <5ff2f4ce$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/3/21 9:17 AM, Mr wrote:
> William F Pokorny <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
>>
>> Indeed, the vim support for POV-Ray (3.7) comes by default on most all
>> unix based systems because it comes with vim itself. POV-Ray (3.7) via
>> Debian support is there on a good many linux variants too. I installed
>> v3.7 on my raspberry pi 4 via a usual package install.

> There was a time when POV was shipped with Ubuntu... It would be a good target
> to try re-establishing that flag, and having integration in such corner stones
> as VIM, Blender, are a big step in that direction (VIM ships with very selective
> Lubuntu out of the box!). Slightly off-topic: I don't know why POV was removed
> from UBUNTU, nor if any other mainstream distro still offers pov package, but
> now that the relicensing to AGPL has been achieved, maybe there is hope for such
> a return?

Hmm... I don't think your view of the current POV-Ray availability is
accurate.

For a long time (Ubuntu 14?) POV-Ray v3.7 has been a package available
for install from Ubuntu and any other Debian based linux distribution.
It's certainly still available from Ubuntu 20.04 to which I moved last
fall.

On my Ubuntu 20.04 upgrade I looked in some detail at the very nice job
of repackaging the POV-Ray components the Debian support people had
done. These updates were picked up for Ubuntu 20.04. There is a post in
povray.unix about this if you're interested.

For v3.8, Dick Balaska provided the only Debian POV-Ray packages of
which I'm aware - qtpovray 3.8. A native v3.8 POV-Ray Debian package is
not available for install - as far as I know.

Bill P.