POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Mining operations in a new future world : Re: Mining operations in a new future world Server Time
2 May 2024 00:45:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mining operations in a new future world
From: Hj  Malthaner
Date: 2 Jan 2021 13:55:05
Message: <5ff0c189$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/2/21 8:30 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> Op 01/01/2021 om 21:49 schreef Hj. Malthaner:
>> On 5/9/19 10:22 PM, Hj. Malthaner wrote:
>>> I had the idea to make a scene of a spaceship, landed on some alien
>>> planet, with machinery around performing mining operations.
>>
>> Many small
>> steps, much trial and error, but I think this is good enough to be
>> called the final version now.
>>
>> https://www.deviantart.com/antarasol/art/Azurite-Surface-Mining-864445059
>>

> Yes, a nice one indeed. If I may give a comment: what I miss is a
> suggestion of atmosphere. There is the exhaust of the mother ship and
> there is a zeppelin, but the planet seems strangely bare of air. To
> remain simple, a bit of ground fog would already help a lot; if you feel
> ready for the challenge, a (thin) media would be great. It would give
> that atmospheric haze with dimmer horizons which would also give depth
> to the landscape.
>
> Happy New Year!

Thanks and happy new year as well!

I had been using the fog feature in the early versions, but it seemed to
cause troubles with radiosity and light coming from the sky sphere, so I
removed it. But you are right, a media should work fine. So far the time
for tracing the scene is moderate, I could try and see how it works. The
planet isn't supposed to have a lot of atmosphere but some dust and haze
surely would help to give an impression of depth.

The zeppelin was kinda artistic freedom, wouldn't work well in a thin
atmosphere I think. But NASA actually suggested evacuated zeppelins for
Mars exploration.

--
Some of my PovRay works:
https://www.deviantart.com/antarasol/gallery/42758766/3D