POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : v3.8 attempted load of radiosity file core dumps. : Re: v3.8 attempted load of radiosity file core dumps. Server Time
25 Apr 2024 20:32:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: v3.8 attempted load of radiosity file core dumps.
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 8 Dec 2020 07:12:33
Message: <5fcf6db1$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/7/20 3:42 PM, jr wrote:
> hi,
>
> William F Pokorny <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
>> For future reference.
>>
>> On Ubuntu 18.04 g++9
>>
>> povray bogus.pov Radiosity_File_Name="RadSamples" +rfo +rfi
>>
>> coredumps unless the RadSamples file exists. The file can be empty
>> and things are fine but it must exist. ...
>
> and not just under Ubuntu, same for Slackware (alpha.10064268).  :-(  of
> interest perhaps, I found a scene which segfaults even when 'RadSamples' exists.
>   also, the file, so far, remains empty for scenes tried.
>
> regards, jr.

Thanks for testing.

On remaining empty. My only guess is perhaps there is no radiosity set
up in the scene? It "might" be with certain scenes default settings do
nothing.

I'm no radiosity expert, but I think in playing yesterday I picked up
there is some sensitivity to scene scale. Meaning any given collection
of radiosity settings might work better with a scene covering a range of
+-10000 than one within a range of +-2 (1). Maybe I'm getting fooled /
fooling myself - more work necessary to be sure.

If you have time to post more on the segfault when RadSamples exists, it
might be useful when I look at fixing this for povr. In any case, I'll
keep what you posted in mind.

Bill P.