POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Nov 29 2020 povr doodle : Re: Nov 29 2020 povr doodle Server Time
2 May 2024 13:51:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Nov 29 2020 povr doodle
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 3 Dec 2020 07:30:07
Message: <5fc8da4f$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/2/20 11:53 AM, Mr wrote:
> William F Pokorny <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
>
> Interesting... Does that mean than any shape rendered as a parametric could find
> an equivalent isosurface? ...But not the other way around...?

:-) Unsure how your mind walked to that question from anything we wrote
- but it's a good question.

 From everything I've read, the parametric to implicit conversion
("called implicitization") is always possible, but perhaps not always
tractable/managable(1).

The implicit to parametric conversion ("called parameterization") in
practice I think mostly can work.

As to whether it's always possible... I've seen statements out and about
that the answer is yes; Bald Eagle's draft bicubic patch paper makes
this statement.

I've also see statements parameterization is sometimes impossible. In
Jules Bloomenthal's introduction to the book "Introduction to Implicit
Surfaces" he writes:

"Parameterization is not always possible, however; for example, implicit
surfaces that are defined by certain polynomials of fourth or higher
degree cannot be parameterized by rational functions [Salmon 1914]."

(1) - Always possible is not the same thing as saying the converted
parametric -> "implicit equation" is usable in an isosurface object.

Bill P.