POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test.binaries : Playing in povr with shaped noise. : Re: Playing in povr with shaped noise. Server Time
8 May 2024 19:04:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Playing in povr with shaped noise.
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 28 Nov 2020 12:26:46
Message: <5fc28856$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/12/20 1:49 PM, William F Pokorny wrote:
> With povr, in addition to quilted, I've taken dents back to a normal
> perturbation only pattern.

> playing around with alternative noise shaping methods.

With povr, I decided to make use of one of the quilted normal
perturbation fixes not adopted as a new "tiled" normal perturbation only
pattern.

Further, while I played with the idea of a new offset parameter to let
the users make use of more of the internal quilt_cubic curve, I ended up
implementing new "lo" and "hi" keywords so users can "re-range" inputs
into the quilt_cubic curve function. Folks can make use of whatever
parts of the curve they want.

For quilted pattern the usual value input range is 0.5 to 0.866 and for
the new tiled pattern it's 0 to 0.5; Unless lo/hi used with other values
in which case re-ranging happens.

Attached a quilted normal used on the left and on the right the new
tiled normal only pattern; both with re-ranging into quilt_cubic.

Both images make use of noise shaping options of f_noise_cubed() for the
base isosurface.

I'm thinking about one additional normal only pattern - based on the
tiled approach - called grooved or furrowed, but we'll see.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'quilted_tiled_lo_hi.jpg' (492 KB)

Preview of image 'quilted_tiled_lo_hi.jpg'
quilted_tiled_lo_hi.jpg