POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test.binaries : Playing in povr with shaped noise. : Re: Playing in povr with shaped noise. Server Time
8 May 2024 03:43:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Playing in povr with shaped noise.
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 13 Nov 2020 14:39:28
Message: <5faee0f0$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/12/20 2:48 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:
> William F Pokorny <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
>> to f_noise_cubed(). In looking at the inbuilt function again, I got to
>> playing around with alternative noise shaping methods.
>>
>> One of these is used for the raised bits on an isosurface plain in the
>> attached image. The updated quilted normal perturbation pattern is
>> applied on top on the shape.
>>
>> Bill P.
>
> I looked at the noise generation code a while, and it's currently beyond my
> ability to puzzle out - pretty complex with all that hash table stuff.
> (Has anyone implemented Simplex Noise yet?)

Not in any POV-Ray version that I'm aware. I looked at it briefly a long
while back. My take then was that it would be less, "better" for us than
those coming from the pure the pure Perlin type noise.

> I'm glad to see that you're renaming things to more accurately reflect what they
> are.
> Perhaps one approach to semi-retain some of the old naming would be to just make
> an include file "legacy.inc" that has a list of things like
> #declare dents = normal {noise_cubed} or whatever your syntax for that would be.

Something possible I guess, but cannot use "dents" as it's still there
as a normal only pattern.

> The isosurface looks great - I immediately thought it would make a great blood
> vessel wall, or a work-eaten wood or bark, or sand dunes....
> Probably lots of other immediate applications just by altering the colors and
> textures.

Thanks. (And just picked up plain rather than plane in my original post...)

I enabled the shaped noise options of f_noise_cubed() in the noise_cubed
pattern today and have been testing / playing. Attached an another image
using the pattern form with average.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: