POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Steam Fog: First WIP : Re: Steam Fog: First WIP Server Time
16 May 2024 04:01:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Steam Fog: First WIP
From: MichaelJF
Date: 21 Oct 2020 12:14:09
Message: <5f905e51$1@news.povray.org>
Am 21.10.2020 um 08:35 schrieb Thomas de Groot:
> Good work sir. I like the mood (Sunrise indeed, as Alain already wrote;
> It is mainly a question of environmental temperature differences at
> start or end of day, I guess)
>
> I very often use a grey wall behind the camera, in addition to
> radiosity, especially for these kind of scenes. An old photographer's
> trick?
>
> The media on/off is something I have also been struggling with. It very
> much depends on the kind of output one wants to achieve (in addition to
> the quite different render time). I generally prefer the 'off' state.

Hi Thomas,

many thanks for your compliment. I'm not an experienced photographer but
I remember that professional photographers use white canvasses to
reflect the light of the sun or their flashlights especially in studio
ligthing behind or beside the camera. May be I invented the wheel again
here.

To switch media on or off in radiosity scenes depends on the scene and
the media used IMO. Having emitting media in a dark room one will like
to switch it on to illuminate the darker areas of the scene by the
media, e.g. a candle. Scattering media in bright light produce to much
reflections and the feature is better turned off. I think one cannot
give a generall guideline here. May be one can consider in a future
version of POV to implement a continous approach instead of the on/off
we have actually.

Best regards
Michael