POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Steam Fog: First WIP : Re: Steam Fog: First WIP Server Time
11 Jun 2024 12:48:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Steam Fog: First WIP
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 21 Oct 2020 02:36:03
Message: <5f8fd6d3@news.povray.org>
Op 20/10/2020 om 19:05 schreef MichaelJF:
> Am 22.02.2019 um 20:04 schrieb MichaelJF:
>> Hi to the crowd,
>>
>> this image has still a lot of flaws (sun colour and reflections, the
>> swan model itself, textures of the cattails) and may be limitations to
>> media by POV. media seems to be handling color_maps or density_maps
>> different than pigment or texture having no interpolation between the
>> map entries but shap edges. This is what I derived in a first attempt.
>> Rendering time was a little bit longer (3 weeks).
>>
>> Best regards
>> Michael
>>

> Hi to the crowd,
>
> here is the final image of my approach to model steam fog. Having lost
> all the code from my first postings here, the image developed into
> another direction, but I like it better now. May be it can need a little
> bit higher amount of dof, but I will not change this so far. Not to hide
> some flaws of the Xfrog trees but for the general mood of the image.
>
> In fact, I have no idea if the images of a sunrise are very different
> from the images of a sundown. But if I prefer a certain region of this
> planet where this scene could be located and where I observed a similiar
> scene several years ago, than it must be a sundown because it was a look
> to the west. Close to the atlantic ocean a little bit north to the Dune
> of Pilat, France. 1985, I rode a bicycle (crafted by myself and not an
> engine) from Paris to Orleans, and then along the Loire and to Bordeaux
> finally. I remember similiar scences from this journey.
>
> Since swans like to order their feathers with their beaks, I posed the
> swan in wings slightly. It was an unrigged free model I found at
>
> https://free3d.com/3d-model/mute-swan-v1--619725.html
>
> The author used the pseudonym "`printable\_models"'.
>
> All plants were modelled with the trial version of Xfrog. If you work
> through their tutorials you can create very realistic plants, but there
> are still some flaws (obviously repeated textures exp. leafs).
>
> In this image I used the Goldenrod-tutorial by Xfrog but placed scans
> from a rotten one I found in a park nearby as textures. The cattails
> (Typha latifolia) and trees (Pinus pinaster, the maritime or cluster
> pine) I modelled with Xfrog without much help from them. The lower part
> of the stem of the pines I modelled after their tree tutorial.
>
> To have a little bit more light in the foreground I misused radiosity by
> putting a great gray wall (colour White/2) 20 units (meters) behind the
> camera to have some diffuse reflections against the sun. A white wall
> was a little bit to bright IMO.
>
> A very important point was to turn off the media interaction within the
> radiosity block. In my first image here - the lost approach from last
> year - it was turned on and And asked for a second light source. One
> ever learns, and Ands question let to the solutionn of this riddle finally.
>
> Render took 12 days, 17 hours and 25 minutes at an Intel Core i9@3.6 Ghz
> [...]

Good work sir. I like the mood (Sunrise indeed, as Alain already wrote;
It is mainly a question of environmental temperature differences at
start or end of day, I guess)

I very often use a grey wall behind the camera, in addition to
radiosity, especially for these kind of scenes. An old photographer's trick?

The media on/off is something I have also been struggling with. It very
much depends on the kind of output one wants to achieve (in addition to
the quite different render time). I generally prefer the 'off' state.

--
Thomas