POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Pending Storm : Re: Pending Storm - final Server Time
2 May 2024 09:16:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pending Storm - final
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 14 Oct 2020 03:03:03
Message: <5f86a2a7@news.povray.org>
Please find here the (last) version of the scene. Search for the
differences ;-)

One notable change I want to elaborate on a bit. I dumped Gilles Tran's
MakeGrass and replaced it by Lawnmaker from Uwe Gleiss (2004).
Unfortunately, his website from where it was downloaded does not exist
anymore. Interestingly, the grass blades were made of parametric objects
and I remembered the infinite time it took to render a proper scene, so
I never used it. William Pokorny's discovery about the optimal settings
for parametric objects, made me curious of course and, Lo! Lawnmaker
suddenly became a serious candidate. Not stopping there, and interested
as I am in using mesh2{} files, I decided to experiment with Meshmaker
(thanks Ingo!). With the help of an example file by Friedrich
Lohmueller, I made the conversion within a couple of minutes. Taking
into account the size of the grasspatches and their grass blade density
(which can increase parsing time quite rapidly) a typical lawn renders
very fast, hardly slower than the rest of the scene.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'pending storm_10_final2.jpg' (346 KB)

Preview of image 'pending storm_10_final2.jpg'
pending storm_10_final2.jpg