POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Pending Storm : Re: Pending Storm Server Time
17 May 2024 01:01:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pending Storm
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 4 Oct 2020 02:43:43
Message: <5f796f1f$1@news.povray.org>
Op 02/10/2020 om 12:36 schreef Bald Eagle:
> I have been playing for a long time with the idea
>> of "publishing" all that stuff some way or another. I am aware that when
>> I shall come to disappear, all that stuff will be "lost". I need to do
>> something about it, if only because I feel an obligation to the
>> community who provided me with it. Additionally, I may discover use for
>> the many items I never included in my scenes. A majority most probably.
>>
>> You have got my attention gentlemen.
>
> I'd say that a good step 1 would be to get everything into one folder and make
> an index file with all of the filenames (with an eye toward making it HTML).
>
> Then you can start with the minimum needed to make it "useable" - under each
> filename, you can put author, date/version, link to original post if you know
> it, and any notes or comments that you might have.   Mention scenes that you've
> used it in.  Perhaps while you're doing this, think of a grouping scheme or tags
> for the files: plants, buildings, people, clouds, water....
>
> That way you can sort of skim through it and hit the highlights, which are
> likely the most interesting/useful items in the collection.
>
> That sets it up for posting to a file hosting site, and folks can download it,
> look it over, and discuss some of the files - then it kinda takes on a life of
> its own and people can find missing information, divine the purpose of code that
> you're not sure of, catch bugs, make edits for clarity and efficiency, etc.
> Many hands make light work.
>
> Many things might be a wonderful addition to the Insert Menu.

In fact, I have something like this already. Everything is inside one
single folder, subdivided into sub-folders (authors), and
sub-sub-folders (include/macro groups). I have an index in the form of a
spreadsheet. Unfortunately, I have not updated it since 2012, but the
bulk is there already probably. I urgently need to check the whole thing
out.

I was thinking also of an eventual HTML version. I have a little
experience with building HTML pages through the work for the TC-RTC, but
this would be a major project indeed.

--
Thomas