POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Pending Storm : Re: Pending Storm Server Time
28 Jun 2024 03:06:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pending Storm
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 3 Oct 2020 02:46:01
Message: <5f781e29@news.povray.org>
Op 02/10/2020 om 18:10 schreef MichaelJF:
> @Thomas: A very interessting approach in using billboards trees. May be
> there are some litte technical difficulties (the missing shadows of the
> stems), which can be solved. But the generell idea is great.

I don't remember where I got the idea; it certainly was not an original
one ;-) I have used it now in a number of scenes, also with a gradation
to "real" trees more in the foreground. The shadow problem with the Sun
more on edge to the billboards came along rather naturally and the
solution was almost obvious.

> For my actuall scene I played with the trial version of Xfrog and
> generated different plant models where you dont need a Billboard fake. I
> tried to get a licence (the actual sale-offer of 99 US-Bucks is really a
> bargain for this elobarated software) but have not received a license
> code so far after more than a week of payment. So may be I have to
> cancel this order and be content with my models of Pinus pinaster, typha
> latifolia, a rottenn version of their tutorial to Solidago canadensis
> and the common broom I modelled during the trial periode.

Xfrog is considered one of the top plant-generating software. I have not
considered (yet) to buy it. My need is not that great. However, before
cancelling, have you tried to contact them?

--
Thomas