POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Pending Storm : Re: Pending Storm Server Time
2 May 2024 09:16:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pending Storm
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 30 Sep 2020 02:39:10
Message: <5f74280e$1@news.povray.org>
Op 29/09/2020 om 23:18 schreef Bill Pragnell:
>> Basically, the checkered fields are superimposed as a slope texture,
>> taking into account a b&w diamond pattern image_map. In the original,
>> the pattern was straight but I thought it would be more convincing if
>> that were changed to a more wavy pattern.
>
> It's very effective. Looking closely, one can see the checker-like pattern, but
> the wider view is quite natural. I've used a similar technique in the past for
> placing objects - using a version of a texture specifically designed for
> filtering a random field of items.
>
> My previous attempt at field boundaries was a random point graph, which
> unfortunately required an external program - both for speed and sanity, since
> SDL is quite unsuited to that sort of thing. I never got as far as making the
> actual field colours, just the boundary walls (see attached). Sadly, as with so
> many projects, real life distracted me in some way and it fell by the wayside...
>
> Bill

Yes indeed, this works quite well. You should try to take that up again.
For my part, I have used ChrisB's Blockwall macro in my Islay scene
(unfinished) a couple of years ago to a similar effect. That seemed to
me rather promising although the macro also had a couple of quaint
peculiarities, and it would be unsuitable I guess for a whole landscape.
Interesting topics to explore...

--
Thomas