POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Pending Storm : Re: Pending Storm Server Time
1 May 2024 20:41:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pending Storm
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 29 Sep 2020 05:04:51
Message: <5f72f8b3$1@news.povray.org>
Op 29/09/2020 om 00:52 schreef Bald Eagle:
> This came out well - the perspective / viewpoint works very well.
>
> It looks very different between my 2 monitors.  I'm not sure how to
> independently change the screen colors/gamma on my laptop but leave the
> auxiliary monitor as it is.

Not sure what may cause this. I am not using exotic gamma settings (1.0)
nor colours (mostly srgb).

> Most noticeable to me was the wood railing - the colors, the texture/normals,
> and the algae growth (probably because it's in the foreground).

And just an image_map and normal_map :-)

> As others have mentioned, the landscape and clouds are very well done.
> The rusted bars are excellent - that texture must have taken quite some time to
> develop.  (But perhaps they should not all appear to bent exactly the same).

The metallic texture is by Explo Eristotle (many years ago) and one of
the best rusty textures I know of. I was waiting for a comment about the
bars ;-) Fact is that the railing is built in Silo using instances, so
they look identical. Your comment is to the point and I should do
something about it.

> The moss on the stone at the base of the railing is --- odd?  Unnatural?
> Perhaps also add a bit of space around the post bases (larger hole, shadow) and
> a bit of extra growth and rot where the water collects.

That part definitely needs some more work.

> The castle looks very clean.  And perhaps add just a bit of texturing to the
> little red roofs in the distance.   Maybe some bugs?  a bird?  a farm cart?

Right. More to do... Not too sure about the additions. I intentionally
left them out.

> And really - those clouds are fan-tastic.
>
> Good work, Thomas.   I'm glad to see some rendered fruits of people's effort
> still being posted   :)

We have to keep up the tradition of our POV-Ray fathers, haven't we? ;-)
But seriously, I certainly would like to see more of these fruits on the
POV-Ray market, like in the old days.

--
Thomas