POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Steam Fog: First WIP : Re: Steam Fog: First WIP Server Time
17 May 2024 16:26:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Steam Fog: First WIP
From: MichaelJF
Date: 19 Aug 2020 13:52:31
Message: <5f3d66df@news.povray.org>

http://news.povray.org/povray.newusers/thread/%3Cweb.4393311ed86e519e4114da700@news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=338362&toff=650

>>> Best approach I guess is the one made by Jaime Vives Piqueres. I have
>>> been working with his code lately for a couple of months (adding foam
>>> to sea water for instance; see my 'Nature Beyond' thread).
>>>
>>> See the following link for the technical aspects:
>>>
>>> http://www.ignorancia.org/index.php/galleries/old-images/sea-buoy/
>>>
>> Hello Thomas,
>>
>> you did a very good job in adding foam to Jaime's sea and added a very
>> nice whale. First I tried an isosurface similiar to Jaime's approach
>> but I decided against it since it looked to much like sea with storms
>> and tides and so on and not like a quiet lake.
>>

> I am beginning to wonder if I understand your problem correctly. It is
> the reflection of the Sun's disk on the water surface, isn't it? If so,
> this is solved very nicely imo by the finish block of the water and the
> finish block only. Jaime uses the following code for his (sea) water
> surface:

> The use of this results in the image attached. My earlier suggestion
> about Tom York's diffuse modulation works well on opaque surfaces. I
> realise now that it would be difficult to implement correctly on a water
> surface.
>
> I am sorry if I confused you with information not entirely up to the point.

Hi Thomas,
if you look at the photography from the wikipedia you will notice a very
small area of white reflections from the sun from the horizon to the
middle of the reflections at the sea. But I overlooked that in my image
I have a very different angle (sun and camera are at a very lower level)
between sun and camera. If I lift the camera in this scene from y=1 to
y=10 POV displayed the white reflections at the sea. In my setting they
coinside to happen at the land area. Sorry that I led you on a wrong
track. But many thanks anyway.

Best regards
Michael