POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Steam Fog: First WIP : Re: Steam Fog: First WIP Server Time
17 May 2024 16:34:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Steam Fog: First WIP
From: MichaelJF
Date: 16 Aug 2020 11:55:30
Message: <5f3956f2@news.povray.org>
Am 22.02.2019 um 20:04 schrieb MichaelJF:
> Hi to the crowd,
>
> this image has still a lot of flaws (sun colour and reflections, the
> swan model itself, textures of the cattails) and may be limitations to
> media by POV. media seems to be handling color_maps or density_maps
> different than pigment or texture having no interpolation between the
> map entries but shap edges. This is what I derived in a first attempt.
> Rendering time was a little bit longer (3 weeks).
>
> Best regards
> Michael

Hi to the crowd again,

since I lost all the code of the original approach of this image due to
a headcrash, I had to restart this scene from scratch. Only the
erroneous density I posted here was left and the corrections Thomas and
Alain proposed of course. Here is the actual WIP. I wondered how a white
sun can cast yellow beams, but I took this RL image

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonnenaufgang#/media/Datei:Sonnenaufgang_penon_de_ifach.jpg

as a basis for the sky_sphere, the sun, and its reflections. I failed to
model this thin slice of white in the reflections in the original
photography so far. But I think to "forget" it, is a venial sin.

I plan to add some pines, cattails, gras, broom, and the swan of course,
but nothing more. The steam fog over land will be invisible after the
addition of the plants (hope so). Additional suggestions are welcome as
ever.

At the moment the rendering time is manageable: some hour with 16
threads at 3.6 GHz (intel core i9).

Best regards
Michael

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'gelaende_pov_scene13.png' (849 KB)

Preview of image 'gelaende_pov_scene13.png'
gelaende_pov_scene13.png