POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Into the Wild : Re: Into the Wild Server Time
13 May 2024 09:02:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Into the Wild
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 15 Aug 2020 07:02:27
Message: <5f37c0c3@news.povray.org>
On 8/15/20 5:42 AM, William F Pokorny wrote:

> I'm not a big radiosity user, but I'll play a little with the flags
> while my coffee brews and post if I figure more out.

OK. I found to create/save radiosity results I had to use "+rfRad.sav
+rfo". To use the samples I had to use "+rfRad.sav +rfi".

Further, as shown in the top row of the attached image the "+rfRad.sav
+rfo" result on the left is not identical to the "+rfRad.sav +rfi"
results in the middle. Any two +rfo, +rfi renders are identical.

The perhaps helpful news, when comparing a complete "+rfRad.sav +rfi"
render on the left bottom to one which had be stopped and continued
every two render block rows in the bottom middle, the results are
closer. The issue is still there, but the effect is not as pronounced.

This is with your radiosity block - always sample is off. It looks as if
even loading radiosity samples some radiosity calculation / smaller
number of rays are shot. Didn't explore whether there was some way to
better suppress some/all of these and so get a closer match on continuation.

If you're using radiosity and think you might stop and start your
render, using save radiosity samples is for that render is better, but
not a complete fix/workaround.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'continueradsavbetter.jpg' (389 KB)

Preview of image 'continueradsavbetter.jpg'
continueradsavbetter.jpg