POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Into the Wild : Re: Into the Wild Server Time
27 Apr 2024 22:44:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Into the Wild
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 14 Aug 2020 10:16:35
Message: <5f369cc3$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/14/20 9:18 AM, William F Pokorny wrote:
> On 8/14/20 7:34 AM, William F Pokorny wrote:
>
> Hold off. I now have something simpler running in povr showing
> differences on continuations, but seeing other issues too. Perhaps
> jitter related. Need to sort it out, but but render turns fast so
> hopefully can get to some better understanding.

OK. You found a continuation bug with radiosity (non saved).

Using my current povr and after turning jitter off somewhat easy to see
you can use continuation when using just lights, but not with radiosity.

The top row in the attached image is a foliage like isosurface sphere
which matches perfectly up to the first continuation. I stopped and
restarted roughly every render block row. I used a multiplier of 15 for
the isosurface image differences.

In the second row of the image I used a regular sphere, but used a
multiplier of 60 for the image differences. The issue is there with all
shapes, it's just harder to see on something like a sphere.

If I get fired up maybe I'll try saving radiosity samples (couldn't get
it to work trying quickly...). An outside chance that might fix it, but
given the circular patterns we see on the sphere, I suspect there is
some sort of offset in the sampling pattern on continuation. A bug no
matter saved samples or not - good find.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'continuestory.jpg' (279 KB)