POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Into the Wild : Re: Into the Wild Server Time
26 Apr 2024 19:05:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Into the Wild
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 13 Aug 2020 02:30:22
Message: <5f34ddfe$1@news.povray.org>
Op 12/08/2020 om 16:41 schreef William F Pokorny:
> Interesting. Not sure.

I am even less sure now to tell the truth. Rendering again a vertical
slice covering the upper right area where the effect was most visible, I
could not recreate the effect! I am continuing to do a couple of tests
today, but I wonder now if this is not a clear sign of the Jekyll/Hyde
Syndrome ;-) I /may/ have made a slight change, in particular to the
haze media code I use, between render sessions... Only I do not remember
having done that at all. You could even hold a gun to my head and I
would say the same ;-)

> While you were experimenting with continuations, did the discontinuity
> at the continuation move around substantially enough to be sure it's not
> related to camera rays and slope in some fashion? Guessing you are using
> a slope based pattern?

In a slightly different setting (of which I shall talk later) the
discontinuity moved with the location where I interrupted/restarted the
render. That seemed clearly to be related to the isosurface somehow.

> There are what I think of as 2.5 bugs in the shadow cache mechanism of
> v37 and v38 which are fixed in povr. And with povr, users can set the
> shadow tolerance which is in play with the bugs too. These bugs /
> limitations have the potential to behave differently depending upon the
> objects in play and so too isosurfaces over other objects. The shadow
> cache state wouldn't be carried through on a continuation so 'suppose'
> those 2.5 shadow cache bugs could be the cause.
>
> There is too an isosurface/thread based cache mechanism specific to the
> isosurface, but looking at the code doubt it could cause the discontinuity.
>
> I don't really have the machine for this scene..., but is the scene
> small enough you could package it up  - without the cloud media if
> possible? Maybe, if I render vertical slices or something I could
> reproduce it in v38, then try a similar continuation with povr without
> tying my machine up too long.

Thanks, I shall do that if my own suspicions are cleared away. The scene
is not large at all. I shall report back.

--
Thomas