POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Odd transformation of cylinders : Re: Odd transformation of cylinders Server Time
20 Apr 2024 02:37:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Odd transformation of cylinders
From: Alain Martel
Date: 11 Aug 2020 12:23:45
Message: <5f32c611$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2020-08-11 à 01:30, Cyningstan a écrit :

> I'm not "new" to POV-Ray but returning to it after a number of years. But this
> problem I've run into is definitely in newbie territory.
>
> I'm building up a basic scene currently using only spheres and cylinders. The
> spheres are acting as I'd expect, but the cylinders are having an odd
> transformation applied to them that I have to undo. They're all being rotated
> -45 degrees around the X axis, and translated down by whatever their radius is.
> For example:

> cylinder {
>    <0 0 -1.25>
>    <0 0 1.25>
>    1
> }

This get interpreted as :
cylinder{<0, 0-1.25> <0,0,1.25> 1}

You can ignore the comas, but only in unambiguous cases. Whenever you
have a negative value, the coma is mandatory in front of it.

There was a time, prior to version 3.0, where the space was a hard
separator and when your way of defining the vector was interpreted as
<0,0,-1.25>. It's been over 30 years that it's no longer the case.