POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A Planetary Journey : Re: A Planetary Journey Server Time
18 May 2024 14:46:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Planetary Journey
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 5 Aug 2020 14:19:48
Message: <5f2af844$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/5/20 12:46 PM, MichaelJF wrote:
> Now I bought a new machine and thought that this open issue would
> be a very nice test (core i7 vs. core i9). I rendered the image due to
> Clipkas suggestions with diffuse albedo 0.5,0.4 on all balloons. It has
> an little bit different mood since the colouring of the balloons is more
> visible in the distance. The backside illumination has a severe
> drewback: it doesn't work with the colour Blue.

Welcome back! I've been otherise hacking at the source code today so
took a quick look at the related code on seeing your post.

I don't see anything obvious against blue. My guess is it's that the
blues of your balloons are quite dark. When the code multiplies the dark
blue value by the backside value*(light * etc) there just isn't much of
an adder. Dark+dark still ends up pretty dark - more true if your light
source doesn't have much blue in it; If it's flame colored.

I've played a little with making the backside values larger than they
'should be' but probably that cheat won't work well with, for example,
your world map where the bottom looks to be mostly white-ish. Maybe just
brighten the blues some on balloons with a lot of dark blue <1,1,2>*...?

I like the image. It reminds me of a balloon festival I attended a
couple times, now 20 years or more ago. Time flies.

Bill P.