POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : whither POV-Ray ?? : Re: whither POV-Ray ?? Server Time
19 May 2024 21:21:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: whither POV-Ray ??
From: Chris Cason
Date: 23 Jul 2020 04:27:36
Message: <5f1949f8@news.povray.org>
On 23/07/2020 17:52, Thorsten wrote:
> When I came in in 1997 the diffs were all posted on Compuserve, iirc. I
> am pretty sure I still have a dump of that, and an old PowerMac 7200
> that might even have a backup and a "running" Compuserve client that
> iirc worked offline as well.

Now that you mention it I'm sure you're right, it wasn't email. I used
to use an offline reader (ozcis, later ozwin) and I'm certain I still
have many of the messages that it cached from the forums. Provided the
diffs were uploaded as messages (not files) they ought to be in there.

That said however I'm not sure how useful they'd be since unless they
have descriptions akin to check-in log messages they won't be
particularly informative plus if we wanted to put them into something
like git to make examination of source history easier we'd need to
reconstruct the exact source tree they were patching against.

(Also if I recall correctly I often needed to manually adjust patches as
they didn't always apply cleanly, but that's just the nature of using
diff/patch I guess ;)

-- Chris