POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : whither POV-Ray ?? : Re: whither POV-Ray ?? Server Time
8 May 2024 06:25:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: whither POV-Ray ??
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 22 Jul 2020 20:38:54
Message: <5f18dc1e$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 08:36:59 +1000, Chris Cason wrote:

>> Are there corporate or academic interests that help keep POV-Ray afloat
>> and in active development?
>
> No.

Just a perhaps random thought, but perhaps someone in the community has
ties into SIGGRAPH (part of ACM) or a similar academic organization who
might have members interested in helping revive/reinvigorate the project,
particularly student developers who could be mentored on the code.

Even if it generated a fork similar to MegaPOV as a "research fork", that
might increase interest in the main branch development.

There's a lot of interest around ray tracing technology in general
(generally GPU-driven, particularly real-time work in the gaming
industry, but also from what I have seen, also in the film industry).
That might be an area to look for capable developers who maybe don't
currently know about the project's existence.